A healthy, tasty, and reasonably quick and easy lunch! Or add some homemade kumara wedges for a more hearty meal suited to dinner.
I make mine with a store bought beetroot hummus or dip, although you can always make your own if time permits. These burgers will be just as tasty if you dont have the dip, you could make a guacamole to serve with them instead.
If you are unable to find a Cos Lettuce, you can use an Iceburg Lettuce for the CRUNCH factor. However, if Iceburg Lettuces bring back bad memories of salads from the 80’s and 90’s, then use a loose salad mix and turn this meal into a salad.
If making a salad, drizzle some olive oil, a shake of salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon on the leaves for a simple dressing.
Gluten Free Bunless Burgers
- 500 grams Mince (beef, lamb or venison)
- 1 small Onion (or half a regular size)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika or Cayenne Pepper
- 2-3 tbsp Fresh herbs like Oregano and Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cracked Pepper to taste
- 1 tub Beetroot dip
- 1 Cos Lettuce
- 1 Avocado
- Parmesan Cheese
Make the Patties:
- Finely chop the onion and garlic, or whizz them up together in a small blender
- Add the onion, garlic and all of the other patty ingredients into a bowl
- Mix well with your hands (use kitchen gloves if you want - I do!)
- Make small patties in the palm of your hand, and fry for 3-4 mins each side in a hot pan
Assemble and Serve:
- Lay out your washed lettuce, place a cooked patty on each
- Top with your beetroot dip and avocado
- OPTIONAL - Sprinkle with some Parmesan
- Roll up and enjoy!